The Governing Board is made up of governors in a number of different governance roles. The board is made up of a mixture of parent, staff, co-opted, community and Local Authority governors, who are responsible for monitoring and overseeing the work of the school and Senior Leadership Team.
Our Governors take responsibility for the strategic direction of the school. They hold the Head Teacher to account for standards in the school and offer guidance and support in all areas of school life.
Governors have individual links to areas such as Health and Safety, Safeguarding, SEND & Vulnerable Pupils, Wellbeing, Data Protection and key school development priorities and work closely with the school staff responsible for these areas.
Strategic responsibilities (which are defined in law) include:
- Being accountable for the performance of the school
- Planning the future direction of the school
- Promoting high standards of educational achievement
- Setting targets for pupil achievement
- Taking general responsibility for the conduct of the school
- Managing the schools budget, including key staffing decisions
- Making sure the curriculum is balanced, broadly based and complies with legal requirements
- Making sure that the school provides for all its pupils, including those with special educational needs
- Drawing up and action plan after inspection by OFSTED (the Office for Standards in Education
The formal work and decision-making of the governing body is undertaken at meetings held 6 times per year. The Board is supported by the work of a governance Business Committee who ensure the school’s business structure and compliance operates within the Financial Regulations of the Council the school’s finance, business and health and safety policies.
Governors visit the school during the school day to evidence progress on the School Development Plan (SDP), In addition, Governors audit processes and procedures regarding key issues such as, finance, safeguarding and health and safety. These visits are reported to the full board of governors at the next meeting.
The governing board has the following core functions:
Establishing the strategic direction, by:
- Setting the vision, values, and objectives for the school
- Agreeing the school improvement strategy with priorities and targets
- Meeting statutory duties
Ensuring accountability, by:
- Appointing the headteacher
- Monitoring progress towards targets
- Performance managing the headteacher
Ensuring financial probity, by:
- Setting the budget
- Monitoring spending against the budget
- Ensuring value for money is obtained
- Ensuring risks to the organisation are manage
Recent minutes of meetings of the Full Governing Body are available to read. Please contact the Clerk if you would like to access them.
If you have any feedback or wish to contact the governors directly about an issue, please email the clerk at email@example.com